Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Hi, my name is Dana McDowell, and I am excited to be enrolled in Reader's Advisory!

I was thoroughly impressed with the first chapter of The Readers' Advisory Guide to Genre Fiction by Joyce G. Saricks. Saricks (2009) stated, "To serve readers better, we have an obligation to read and talk about what we read. We must also make readers comfortable so that they feel safe asking for suggestions and assistance" (11). Nothing is more exciting when one discovers what one's friend or coworker has been reading, and whether or not they enjoy reading similar genres.

I generally stick to the "classics," and I also like to read Children's and YA books. Some of my all-time Children's Literature favorites in no particular order, are:

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

In the Adult Fiction books, I recently became a huge Rhys Bowen fan. I really enjoyed Her Royal Spyness mysteries, which are great for fans of the television show Downton Abbey. They are very clever read-alikes. Below are some of my all-time favorite YA and Adult books:

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I will be looking forward to diving deep into the class material and to discover new books that may be added to my "favorites" list!

Works Cited

Saricks, J. (2009). The Readers' Advisory Guide to Genre Fiction (2nd ed.). Chicago: American  Library Association.

7 comments:

  1. I remember my 4th grade teacher reading Anne of Green Gables to us. I went on from there and read the series of Anne of Green Gables. I loved those books. I also read the next series of books about Rebecca. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers definitely have the power to shape our reading habits and introduce us to books that we will know and like forever!

      Delete
  2. I can recall my mom reading some of the later Anne books to us when I was younger, although I can't recall her reading the beginning of the series...I picked them up myself when I was in high school and found myself fascinated by her world. One day, I'd love to visit PEI, just so I can say I've been there. I think I enjoyed her so much, even as an older reader, because I felt like I could relate to her. I think we all have an 'Anne with an E' in us somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sarah! That is so true! It would be fun to visit Prince Edward Island, especially to see the Anne of Green Gables house. They have an Anne of Green Gables museum and their website is https://www.annemuseum.com/.

      Delete
  3. Wonder is perhaps one of my favorite books of all time. I love the storyline and I have to say that the movie impressed me as well. I'm always a bigger fan of the book, but I think the movie versions of Wonder and The Fault in Our Stars was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched the movie adaptation of Wonder yet, but I am glad they did the book justice! I loved the campaign Choose Kind that circulated with the book. It is an amazing example of teaching children about empathy and compassion!

    ReplyDelete