Monday, March 19, 2018

Week 11 Prompt


It seems as though our lives are dictated by computer screens. We shut off our alarms on our iPhones that get us up for work. We go to work and stare at a computer screen. We go home, and stare at a TV screen or another computer screen for a few hours. Repeat. 

While I’m in a generation where we are “expected” by older adults to know more about technology, I prefer a good, “old-fashioned” book. I made myself get a Kindle so I could help patrons who use them, but there is something about the smell of a book, and the sense of accomplishment one feels after turning a physical page. One can also see how much he or she has left to read, whereas with eBooks, that is hard to tell at times. Personally, it actually stresses me out a little, not knowing how long a book is going to last. 

On the flip side, some people may admit they read faster on an eBook than they do with real books. Some people would rather take his or her time with a physical book, but they may read faster on the screen and would want to get a book read more quickly that way. Others may not be in close proximity to a real library to pick up and drop off books with ease, and so must rely on their eBooks instead. It is even more convenient if the library’s policy is an automatic return after a week or two, so patrons won’t have to pay fines on eBooks.  

However, to me, there is an issue with quality control when it comes to eBooks. I will only read eBooks if I know the author is a trusted author, and their book is originally printed in hard copy. That way, I know that their book has been edited. It is difficult to read for fun when all I can see are glaring grammatical errors that have not been spotted by an editor, or worse, that the editor ignored the mistakes on purpose.

I’ve always been one to want to read myself. I don’t like being read to, which makes it less fun to listen to audiobooks. When it comes to stories, I prefer coming up with the voices of the characters. Sometimes, if I listen to an audiobook, the narrator throws me off when he or she reads two or three different characters, but in similar tones, or in an attempted/failed accent. There are so many people who want to be voiceover actors and actresses. My question is that why audiobook companies won’t hire more people to narrate a story? 

Another concern that I have, (and anyone can debunk it at any time), is if eBooks and audiobooks will eventually end up doing more harm than good for public libraries in general? It seems like large companies such as Audible are on the rise, and more people are listening to books more often than making trips to the brick-and-mortar library building. I would think that people would want to just pay for an audiobook through Audible than waiting for a title at the library or have to pay a hefty fine if it is not returned. Buying a book eliminates those issues altogether. According to the article Global Audiobook Trends and Statistics for 2018 by Michael Kozlowski (2017) states,
He went on to say “One of the things that’s most interesting to me here is the fact that it used to be that the success of an audiobook was correlated with the success of the print book. That is no longer true. The number of audiobooks that perform well independent of its print and eBook circulation is increasing. The format itself is creating new ways of discovering content that is becoming increasingly independent of the underlying print and eBook success. I think that is an interesting phenomenon. People are choosing titles because it is a good audiobook—not necessarily, because it is a good print book. Narrators have a big role in that too. Narrators continue to have their own fan base and often times, listeners will find them before they even find an author.

All to say, that while I do not like audiobooks and eBooks, I will use them. The library can adapt to whatever changes it needs to make in order to support patrons better, and that will probably be the increase in use of eReaders. I am honestly concerned that the library may have a lower priority with patrons with the rise of audiobook companies outside of the library, and it is a librarian’s responsibility to be able to draw in patrons and make them want to come to the library. However, we were just as concerned with eBooks, and nothing has happened to threaten the library’s existence yet; the same could be said for audiobooks. I know Overdrive is an option that many libraries have, and that technology is useful, and that patrons may choose audiobooks and eBooks, which is fine. I just am wondering if this will be a good thing for libraries in the long run. 

Works Cited
Kozlowski, M. (2017). Global Audiobook Trends and Statistics for 2018. Retrieved from https://goodereader.com/blog/audiobooks/global-audiobook-trends-and-statistics-for-2018

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your comment about digital books/ audio books being accessible without actually visiting the library. I think the audio books and e-books are valuable tools, but, I believe that as patron use of digital downloads increases, the libraries will have to come up with innovative means to get patrons into the library to participate and to browse. The physical library offers so much more than just the next good read and patrons mainly download their materials miss a crucial community asset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      Thanks! I completely agree with your comment, too! E-books are valuable tools, but just that. It kind of worries me that big companies like Audible will do more harm for the public library than good. Libraries will definitely will have to come up with something that will draw the patrons in, whether decreasing the fines or going away with them and still find a way to make money (even though I admit to liking some of their commercials, haha). I honestly think that's the ticket- I know a lot of patrons who have fines and then curse the circulation staff and threaten to download books from that moment forward. It can be easily done, too. Plus, they are missing out on the programming, like you said. I'm hoping it's just a "trend" and that people will eventually go back to reading a physical book!

      Delete
  2. You make some excellent points! I know that many of our patrons will do audible for a month or two at a time but don't like paying for it indefinitely. Besides audiobooks we also offer e-audio with hoopla and that has been WILDLY popular. Especially since there is no wait time and they can download it immediately. Full points!

    ReplyDelete